Why Can’t Children Under Two Years Old Have Honey?

Children under two years old should not consume honey because it may contain spores of a bacterium called Clostridium botulinum. These spores can produce a toxin called botulinum toxin, which can cause infant botulism.

Infant botulism is a rare but serious condition that can occur when a baby ingests the botulinum spores, which then grow in their intestines and release the toxin. The symptoms of infant botulism may include constipation, poor feeding, weak cry, floppy movements, and breathing difficulties.

Although adults and older children can usually fight off the botulinum spores, babies under six months of age and those with weakened immune systems are more susceptible to infection. As a result, it is recommended that honey be avoided in infants younger than 12 months of age to reduce the risk of infant botulism.

Related posts