Supplements To Improve Male Sperm Count and Motility
When it comes to Baby Making, males bring 50% to the table and almost 40% of the cases account for Male Infertility.
The following supplements help improve Sperm count and Motility-
1. Zinc- It plays an important role in progressive density, and antioxidant activity and maintains sperm viability and Progression thus improving pregnancy outcomes.
The best source of zinc is oysters, but it’s also plentiful in red meat and poultry. Other good sources are beans, nuts, crab, lobster, whole grains, breakfast cereals, and dairy products.
2. Coenzyme Q10 – It is a strong antioxidant and improves sperm concentration and motility.
- Organ meats: Heart, liver, and kidney.
- Some muscle meats: Pork, beef, and chicken.
- Fatty fish: Trout, herring, mackerel, and sardine.
- Vegetables: Spinach, cauliflower, and broccoli.
- Fruit: Oranges and strawberries.
- Legumes: Soybeans, lentils, and peanuts.
- Nuts and seeds: Sesame seeds and pistachios.
3. Lysine – It is an amino acid that helps increase sperm count and motility and enhance the strength of Ejaculation.
- Meat, specifically red meat, pork, and poultry.
- Cheese, particularly parmesan.
- Certain fish, such as cod and sardines.
- Soybeans, particularly tofu, isolated soy protein, and defatted soybean flour.
- Fenugreek seed.
4. Selenium- It helps with testosterone metabolism and helps in improving sperm motility.
Pork, beef, turkey, chicken, fish, shellfish, and eggs contain high amounts of selenium. Some beans and nuts, especially Brazil nuts, contain selenium. Brocolli and other healthy Vegetables, too, can provide some of your daily selenium. Some other good examples of good sources: are spinach, green peas, beans, and potatoes.
Bananas. One cup of chopped banana offers 2 mcg of selenium or 3 percent of your daily recommended intake. Add bananas to a smoothie with yogurt or your favorite oatmeal for more selenium.
Main Criteria for Healthy Sperm
Sperm health is an important factor in a couple’s ability to conceive. There are six main criteria for healthy sperm:
- ability to pass through the cervical mucus and make it to the egg
- acrosome reaction
- zona pellucida binding
- nuclear decondensation
Sperm also need to have the right number of chromosomes for a successful pregnancy. A breakdown in any of these criteria can result in male-factor infertility.
Some Lifestyle Changes May Help Increase Sperm Motility for Some Men
- exercise regularly
- maintain a healthy weight
- limit cell phone exposure
- reduce alcohol
- quit smoking